Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Acorn Acres Wildlife Rehabilitation. We are currently in the process of defining our Volunteer Program and will eventually be providing an automated way of applying. For now though, please send us an email (address is below) stating your interest. We look forward to hearing from you.
The requirements of our Animal Care Assistants are as follows:
- Minimum of 25 years of age*
- Minimum of 1 4-hour shift per week on the same day each week, minimum of 6 months
- Agree to utilize our electronic calendar for all shifts and events you are volunteering for
- Agree to find replacement volunteer if you are unable to volunteer on predetermined shift
- Agree to communicate (and participate) on our private social media page, which is solely for our volunteers (we utilize Facebook)
We take our work very seriously, but we also enjoy it immensely and we have a lot of fun as a group. We are extremely small and pride ourselves on efficiency. While we certainly understand that “life” continuously interrupts the best laid plans, our volunteers understand that if they suddenly do not show up there are animals that do not get to eat. We do our very best to accommodate last minute schedule changes, well, because life happens. However, we do ask that it is reciprocated.
responsibilities of Animal Care Assistants at Acorn Acres Wildlife
Rehabilitation may include:
- Cleaning indoor and outdoor enclosures, washing dishes or loading/unloading dishwasher, and laundry
- Ensuring cages and enclosures remain safe for patients and residents
- Preparing daily diets; both solid and formula
- Hand feeding infant and juvenile patients
- Providing enrichment activities to patients and permanent residents
- Assisting with patient intakes and initial assessments
- Preparing activities for our public outreach programs (after the animal care is completed)
This is not a comprehensive list, but it a great starting point. As you spend more time with us your responsibilities will grow, if you want them too.
* we do offer college internships to individuals that are less than 25 years of age